August 24, 2019

MilSO Career Series: My Takeaways

Whew, it's been a hot minute. Let's catch up!

We said goodbye to Texas and hello to Tennessee! Yup, you read that right. Our move has come and gone. It seems like I blinked and here I am sitting in a lawn chair in my very empty new home with three sleeping dogs by my feet. We are still anxiously awaiting the delivery of our household goods and currently getting by with the bare minimum. Empty house, full hearts. We are beyond thankful we had a place to go during this time of transition instead of living in a hotel with three dogs (no thanks!). Enjoy these photos of my furbabies napping away during our drive across the country.

As y'all know, I have been diligently working to set myself up for success in the job department for MONTHS. I'm here to tell you all that preparation PAID OFF! In less than 48 hours of being at our new duty station, I got my first job offer. And it's not just any offer - it's everything I asked for! I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and opportunities present themselves when they're right for you - even when you don't understand the logic behind it in the moment. This job is a bit of a commute, but it's a leading hospital in the industry, a Level I trauma center and it's a HUGE opportunity for me to expand my skills and level up. To say I'm excited is an understatement!

Okay, so how did I do it?! While I'm not saying these tips will work for everyone, I can say they're tried and true for not only me, but other military spouses as well. If you're preparing to PCS, read on!

1. Get started as soon as possible. 

I work in healthcare and I have national and state licenses I must keep up in order to practice. Transferring of licenses are your TOP priority when you get PCS orders. For many, you can't even apply to potential job opportunities without the correct state license so it's imperative that you make this your first step. I started the process of applying for new state licenses four months before our move. It took three months to officially get approved, leaving me one month to begin applying for job opportunities. Which was perfect timing!

2. Research, Research, Research!

If you know anyone at your next duty station, reach out to them and get some advice on the surrounding cities to get a feel for where you might want to work. If you don't know anyone, Google is a magical tool. Because I mainly work in hospital settings, I simply search for the hospitals in the area and then look at specific reviews of the hospital, safety ratings, and even crime rates in the area. That gives me a good idea of the cliental base and the work environment. It's not fool proof, but it's better than going in blind. Once you identify some places you may want to work, start tracking their open positions. I was checking at least once a week for open positions (honestly, I was looking at least once day...).

Consider looking for open positions on post or at the local VA centers. They give priority to spouses and help transfer you the next time you move! Search their positions at www.usajobs.gov.

3. Be organized.

Luckily for us, our documents never get too out-of-date with all these military moves, am I right?! Regardless, dust off your USB, and update your resume and cover letter. I'm slightly OCD...slightly being a loose term..so bear with me here. I have generic copies of each document that I can make a copy of and customize to each job I apply for.

It looks like this:

Generic doc: RESUME >  copy, paste and rename > COMPANY.LASTNAME.RESUME

Example: If I'm applying at Health First, I would make a copy of my resume and rename it - HF.Smith.Resume. Do the same for your cover letter and then tailor these documents to fit the specific job you're applying for. For example, use the company's name in your cover letter and pull key words from their job description to include in your resume. Then when you attach your documents to your application, it looks professional (don't name it stupidresume) and helps the employer easily identify whose application they're looking at.

Lastly, check in with at least 5 past coworkers, supervisors and/or professors and ask them if you can use them as references during the job application process. Create a list of their contact information that's easily accessible. This ensures a quick turn around when potential employers ask for your references. Always make sure you notify your references when you send a request to them via email so they don't miss it and let them know if you got the job!

4. Follow up!

There is absolutely nothing employers like more than initiative. About a week after I apply to any position, I call the department and ask to speak to the hiring manager to personally introduce myself. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, it can be as simple as 'Hi my name is _______. You may have come across my application this week, and I just wanted to introduce myself and reiterate my interest in the _______ position you have available.' Not only does this show the manger you're truly interested in the position, but it also gets your name out there and likely will entice them to look up your application. I have gotten interviews simply because I called and introduced myself in this manner. 

Then, whether you get a phone interview or an in-person interview, ALWAYS reach out to the manager (or whoever you had your interview with) the next day to thank them for their time. Again, you're reiterating your interest, keeping your name in the front of their mind, and showing initiative. This follow up can be a simple email ending with a statement such as 'I look forward to hearing from you' or something that leaves the conversation open.

5. Know your worth.

Confidence is key! Confidence will come across in your cover letter, your resume, your introduction phone call, phone interview, in-person interview and follow up emails. It's part of ALL of it. Maybe that seems obvious, but I know for me, the whole job application process is nerve wracking and completely makes me nauseous! So how can you overcome that fear so that you perform your best?

Most importantly, you need to know exactly what you want before you apply. Make sure your values and needs are going to be met by the position and ask for the pay you actually want in your application. In fact, add a little bit for good measure. 😉 Don't downgrade yourself because you need a job fast or you think they won't hire you because you're military or whatever the reason may be. Know your worth and ask for it, sister.

Next, go over some potential interview questions and your response before your interview so you're confident in your responses. Simply talking out loud while looking in the mirror will help you practice eye contact, help reduce your nerves and improve your confidence. Then, right before your interview, make sure you remind yourself how absolutely amazing you are! You are strong, you are resilient, you are adaptable, and you would be an asset to any department. Seriously, these are specific words I use during my interviews. Not only do they display characteristics of ideal employees, but they show my interviewers that I'm confident in my abilities.

Lastly, make sure you set aside a few interview outfits before your whole life is packed away that make you feel AMAZING. It should be comfortable, professional, and make you feel like you can conquer the world, because DUH, you're about to!

What tip do you think will be the most helpful during your job search? If you've been through this transition phase before, did you use any of these same techniques? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

- xoxo -

Surviving Seasons of Seperation

"Don't let your coping mechanism become your comfort zone." For the past six years I've been holding onto the beli...