June 5, 2019

MilSO Career Series: Overcoming Obstacles

Is it possible to build a strong career as a military spouse? Heck yes! Is it going to be easy? Nope!

As I sit here typing away, I am frazzled. For those who don't know, my husband and I are in the midst of a PCS (permanent change of station). This will be our first PCS together as a family and....WE BOUGHT A HOUSE at our next duty station, Fort Campbell. We are so excited for this next step in our lives and our marriage, but also terrified! I'm quickly becoming overwhelmed trying to juggle getting my state license for x-ray, searching for a new job, packing up our house, all while still working 40+ hours a week.

As a radiologic technologist, I am required to have both a national certification and state licensure depending on what state I practice in. Many of you know this can be a time consuming process in general, let alone when you're attempting to apply for licenses and prospective job opportunities from states away. I heard from many other spouses with careers that require licenses and certifications how difficult it can be but one common factor remains: the reality of pursuing your own career as a military spouse depends on your desire and commitment to your career goals.

What is the biggest challenge you've faced as a military spouse in the civilian workforce?

Staci K., dental assistant, "getting licensed in different states." I feel ya, sister! Although there's benefits to being in healthcare, like endless job opportunities, getting the proper licensure in every state takes lots of time and money.

Ciara B., nurse, "Being a new military spouse the biggest challenge I have faced is just understanding how it all works! Everyone had been telling me how easy it is to get a job on post, but I can't be the only one who thinks navigating USA jobs is near impossible!" You're not alone, Ciara! Unfortunately, jobs on post have a priority system linked to our spouse's rank. Finding and securing a job on post can often take MONTHS and by then, you may be heading off to a new duty station.

Anonymous, elementary education, "I thought teaching was the perfect Military Spouse career because everywhere needs teachers.. FALSE! I taught at our first 2 duty stations (2different states), but it quickly became clear that it wasn’t worth it for our 3rd duty station. Every state has different certification processes and some have different state tests that must be taken. Every time I started in a new school/state I started at the bottom of the pay scale because they didn’t take into account previous years of experience at other locations. I also had to take classes for each state that gave me state credentials that wouldn’t transfer out of state. With the amount of credits I have taken since getting my bachelors, I should have my masters degree, but unfortunately none of those credits count outside those states." This is so frustrating! I know you're not alone in giving up your career in order to support your spouse's career.

Tori O., certified nursing assistant, "Transferring State Certificates, took almost 6 months for my CNA to transfer correctly from Wisconsin to Texas. My Medication Aide Certificate does not transfer from Wi, which would allow me to get a better job here obviously. 😞 Also, no family around for daycare." It's funny, I always though healthcare was the best choice for a military spouse, but these license and certification transfers are a nightmare!

Although most professions can be done anywhere, when you get stationed OCONUS, or out of country, things can become a little tricky. Of the responses we acquired, only a small portion are currently stationed overseas but they provided some great feedback about their work opportunities while stationed abroad.


I loved seeing this positive outlook from Brittany T. who is currently stationed in the United Kingdom. "My dream job is to be a travelling photographer. With the military, I have the freedom to travel as well as the means to afford equipment and education that I would not be able to otherwise. My husband and I also decided to live off base, in order to have a house that I can have my own personal studio in." -Brittany T.
While Jennifer K. has found she has opportunity restrictions at her duty station - "I'm currently living in Italy and I can't work AT ALL unless it's on base. If I do decide to work off base I lose all military protection rights." As a healthcare professional, my job opportunities would be limited to strictly on base as well. Okay, y'all that was a whole heck of a lot of information! I have been blown away by the responses to the survey I compiled on this topic and I look forward to continuing to share all about how we milSO's identify, tackle, and dominate any situation we come across. Read that again, because it's true. I'm convinced there's nothing we can't handle! Stay tuned for my next post in our MilSO Career Series!

- xoxo -

Surviving Seasons of Seperation

"Don't let your coping mechanism become your comfort zone." For the past six years I've been holding onto the beli...